I didn't mention on my blog that I got given notice a few weeks ago. The company is moving to Dublin and I'm not going with them. They didn't really give notice properly and my agency didn't find out about it until I told them but I'm certainly not fussed. I had been getting a little tired of working in a basement with people who never talk.
There was a sad side. I discovered how totally useless my recruiter was. After telling him I was giving notice he wrote an email to the boss saying that I should have been given notice officially and since that time he has totally failed to try to get me a new job. He got a percentage of all my earnings and he seems totally content to let that stop. Odd.
Anyway I had my first interview today. It's for a web programming role with a digital media company. The interview went really well, I thought they were great people and it looked like a good place to work. They gave me a tour of the office before I left and the recruiter rang a few hours later saying that they thought I was suitable and that I'd fit really well into the office. They just had a few more people to interview in the next couple of days but they wanted to bring me in for a chat with the managing directors.
I now have to decide whether I should take refuge in the the haven of a safe permanent role or brave the winds of the uncertain contracting market.
I didn't really move to London to be comfortable.
Monday, May 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh no and congratulations. The possibly new job sounds exciting.
Rude bastards; sounds like you're definitely better off out of there.
And welcome to the world of 'professional' recruiters. They suck. I always keep three to four on the go. To cover the entire market, and because they're almost invariably useless. Some people like to keep more going; whatever works for you :)
Oh, and I agree. While you're out of your comfort zone, stay out there :)
Good luck!
PS: Having said all that, the last recruiter I dealt with actually was pretty good. Had to happen eventually, I suppose...
All pimps suck!
Hi Adam! Man long time no see, must be close to a year (or my perception of time may be way off)?
It's great to hear things are well in England and you're kicking ass. Sounds like a ball.
I think the UC has disintegrated a bit since you left (naturally), apparently a number of positions in IT were canned. Sheree though is slowly building her empire, she'll be running the joint soon!
Best of luck with your job hunting. And I know how you feel working with a bunch of people who never talk, I'm in it right now. Save me!
Dean,
its KC who is empire building not Sheree. but UC is in the poo a lot and Im hoping to get out of here sooner rather than later.
Post a Comment