Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Kata to Kho Phi Phi


After my one night in Patong I caught a Tuk Tuk down the coast to Kata (cost 250B although I was offered prices from 250-450. The trick is to know what a reasonable price is and ignore the drivers who laugh at it). I was navigating by pointing to a spot on a map and when the driver got me there I didn't believe him. That happens a lot in Thailand where a street can go from storefronts to guesthouses and back again in 50 metres.
I found that Kata is just like Patong in that it's a holiday makers resort. It doesn't have the same sleazy main street though, everybody who wants to just catches a taxi back up the coast for that. So basically it's a quiet little town with some nice places to eat and drink and a long beach with 3 rows of beach chairs for the tourists to pay for. Not too bad but nothing to really recommend it. I'm sure if someone was coming to stay in one of the resorts then they could have a really nice time here.
I had a quiet night in Kata talking with people in the nearby bungalows. Starting to realise that there is a relationship between cheapness of accomodation and interestingness of the people staying there.
After one night in Patong I caught a ferry to Kho Phi Phi. Getting to Phi Phi was really easy as the tourist operators are very organised. I paid my money to a booking agent at 9:30 pm and the minibus turned up at 9 the next morning to take me to the ferry. The ferry people shepard all the customers around and before you know it you're off. Our minibus driver was kind enough to stop and let me buy seasick tablets. I wasn't sure how rough the trip was going to be. As it turns out I probably didn't need them. Phi Phi was beautiful but more about it next time.
Here's a picture of Phi Phi since I didn't get to anything near Kata that was worth photographing. There are some nice things nearby but I didn't have time to get to them :-(
Adam Travel Tips #14: Stay somewhere too expensive and you'll never meet anyone interesting to talk to.

No comments:

 
hitcounter Visitors since August 2008