Monday, February 12, 2007

Tonsai Beach Pt 1.



Tonsai beach is the place that I was looking for in Thailand. I'm a bit sad that I didn't get there until the end of my trip but that's OK because I can just go back there quickly in future. Tonsai beach is in Krabi province between Railay beach and Aonang. It's one of the best rockclimbing spots in Thailand and as such has a unique feel to it. Rockclimbers come and spend months living in cheap bungalows up in the jungle behind the beach and the bars and restaurants are very different because of the presence of happy long term rockclimbers.

For anybody who's been to Arapiles in Victoria.... It's very like that but with a little Thai village nestled amongst the cliffs. Well and it has a beach :-)
I should mention that Tonsai was the one place I visited that didn't have a pier. Required me to drag my damn bag up the beach... really should have been travelling with a back pack I guess. But it is the only place where it was really an issue.
I met a Canadian called Chad on the ferry over to Tonsai. It turned out that he had 2 friends staying in Tonsai and climbing. These guys were climbing 28's and 29's (really damn hard) but were happy to spend half a day introducing some beginners, 2 german girls, Cordula and Yulia, to climbing. Chad, a Californian who they'd met called Scott, and myself tagged along, all with different levels of enthusiasm for actually doing some climbing.

To Be Continued....

No comments:

 
hitcounter Visitors since August 2008