the ferry was actually really leaving at 9am and I wasn't going to make it.
So rather than hanging around doing nothing until the afternoon ferry at 2:30 I decided to get on the 10:30 ferry to Koh Lanta and see what it was like there.
Koh Lanta is a lovely island with one main road down it. It's quite big (about 30 by 20km) so the best was to get around is to rent a motor scooter and ride around. Only the coastal area is
touristy with the main part of the interior agricultural. Lots of rubber tree plantations. They do elephant trekking as well. And sometimes the elephants just get taken for a walk. The locals have also recently discovered a cave system in the middle of the island but it's still really undeveloped with a basic tour just through the top caves in the system. And it's a very muddy cave with not much active limestone growth. Possibly some of the unexplored lower chambers are pretty. We got a cool tour through the forest on the approach to the cave with our guide pointing out lots of cool plants and some animals.
The accommodation on the island had a big range of prices and I stayed at a place on the end of a lovely relaxed beach that had beach bars all the way along it. Each night one of the bars would put on a party and everybody on the beach would walk along and drink. I saw a very interesting cover band that did everything from Pearl Jam to U2. The lead singer was pretty good but his accent was pretty strong and I'm really not sure the lyrics from Sunday Bloody Sunday are the same ones that Bono uses.
No comments:
Post a Comment